Taking the First Step to Help
My Child has a Developmental Disability – What Now?
When a parent finds out their child has a developmental disability, it’s hard to know what to do. There are four main steps parents can take to ensure their child—and the whole family—has caring support and can live life without limits.
Step 1: Learn all you can from your physician and make sure to ask questions, such as:
- What is this disability?
- How will this disability affect my child?
- Where can I found out more about this disability and get help?
- What should I do now?
- What does the future hold for my child, for me and for my family?
Step 2: Join a parent support group, which are often disability specific:
- MyChildWithoutLimits.org offers online parent support groups.
- Alta California Regional Center at (916) 978-6400 has a list of support groups.
- Warmline Family Resource Center at (916) 922-9276 in Sacramento or (916) 632-2100 in Rocklin has a list of support groups.