What Happens When You Donate to UCP
Having the ability to give to a cause can be empowering. By donating to something you believe in, you can positively impact the lives of others. Let’s be honest – it’s a great feeling to know you’ve helped someone in need. But sometimes, when you give to an organization, you are left wondering exactly HOW your donation is making a difference. That’s why we’re giving you a step by step guide to what happens to your donations when you give to UCP.
First, your donation goes to work right away. UCP of Sacramento and Northern California provides 823,348 hours of service in a year or the equivalent of 2,225 hours of service per day to our clients. That’s over 2,000 hours per day of programs and services to thousands of individuals and families. Learn more about UCP Programs and Services.
Second, you will get a donation receipt that you can use for tax purposes. You could use this donation receipt on your federal tax return. Check out the IRS Regulations.
Helpful Tip: If you want a donation receipt for your 2019 Tax Return, we’ll need to receive your donation by Tuesday, December 31, 2019. The easiest way to make sure you donate by the 31st is to give online. Check out UCP Ways to Give for a variety of ways to give to UCP.
Third, you will receive a Thank You from UCP, which will show you the results of your donation. Some of the programs your donation can go towards include:
- UCP Family Respite. Based on the amount of your donation, you will know right away how many tired families, raising a child with a developmental disability, you have helped re-energize. Each family respite session costs UCP $52.40.
- UCP Saddle Pals. A complete UCP Saddle Pals Session consists of (9) 90-minute lessons. Each lesson costs UCP $72.82 – the biggest part of that cost is the care and feeding of our horses. Your donation of $655 can fund a complete 9-week session course of horsemanship, confidence building and endless smiles for a child or adult with Down syndrome.
- In addition to Family Respite and Saddle Pals, UCP programs include: UCP Adult Day Programs, UCP Community Support and Independent Living and UCP Transportation.
- If you find a program that you’d like your donation to support, just let us know and we’ll be sure to focus your funds accordingly.
Fourth, your gift will make you feel good.
- It is a scientific fact – being generous makes you feel better. The National Institutes of Health conducted brain imaging after individuals gave a donation. When they made a donation the pleasure centers in their brain were activated. It really is better to give than to receive!
And finally, your gift stays local. UCP was founded in Sacramento in 1955. We have been here for 64 years and plan on being here for as long as our services are needed. Our team believes strongly in our financial responsibilities as a non-profit and as a custodian of your donations.
- When you give to UCP your donation stays local and over 90 cents of every dollar goes directly to programs and services. Learn more about it in the UCP Annual Report on page 4.
- UCP has a yearly independent audit conducted by Moss Adams, a public accounting firm. We fulfill our commitment as a registered non-profit on both the state and federal levels.
- UCP’s Development and Marketing Team are members of the Association of Fundraising Professionals and adhere to the AFP Code of Ethical Standards.
Things You Might Have Wondered About UCP
Q: I can only make a small donation, will it make a difference?
A: Yes! A donation of any size will make a difference!
- For instance: $2.71 pays for a mile to help deliver our clients to the door of a UCP Adult Day Program. Small donations help open lots of possibilities for our clients.
- $4.00 feeds a UCP Saddle Pals horse hay for a day. A horse that has eaten is going to be a better companion for one of our riders.
Q: What is The Foundation for UCP of Sacramento and Northern California? Is The Foundation different from UCP of Sacramento and Northern California?
A: Yes. Simply put: The Foundation is looking after the needs of our clients with developmental disabilities in the FUTURE. UCP of Sacramento and Northern California provides for the needs of children, adults and their families TODAY!
- Donations given to The Foundation for UCP are being conserved, invested and grown so that we are not so dependent in the future on government funding for our programs. The Foundation for UCP is building an asset base so we can meet the future needs of today’s children with developmental disabilities.
- We encourage those who want to make a Legacy Gift to donate to The Foundation for UCP. A Legacy Gift is a donation that you make now for the future of today’s children. Your Legacy Gift helps others well into the future. The Foundation for UCP has a conservative investment policy providing growth and stability for these funds.